About Me

My photo
Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Hiya! I'm Sophie, an A Level Media student who has high hopes for the future! Oh, and i'm a tiny bit accident prone...

Thursday 16 September 2010

Front page sketches task

In preparation for creating a school magazine, I have created 3 sketches of ideas for the front cover of my product. When thinking of titles and story lines for my magazine, i had to keep in mind the target audience, being fellow students. This made me realise I would need to use bold fonts, strong images and rhyming or adapted language to entice teenagers to want to read my product.

Here is my first cover idea.
My title here uses alliteration to immediately grab a readers attention as well as naming the magazine to be full of gossip, a teenagers favourite pastime! Alongside these "in your face" ideas, an underlying message is given due to the title being similar to the popular television show "GossipGirl". By using this play on words, the students (my target audience) can subconsciously think that this will be something they enjoy due to already being a fan of something linked with it.
My choice of storyline for this cover was to link together with the title of "gossip" as well as give a rhetorical question for the readers to feel the need to answer by looking further into detail at the article. Also by giving a relationship scandal, it's a typical thing to happen at school and is always the height of conversation between students, so by using this in a magazine, hopefully this would get my target audience excited and talking about my product with enthusiasm.


Here is my second cover idea.
For this title i took a newer approach, using "text-talk" to give the name G4U (Goffs For You). This is very appropriate to my target audience due to using a "language" in which is very popular with teenagers of the present. Due to students constantly using text-talk to speak with their friends, this would give me the impression that if they saw this on a magazine they would be attracted to it seeing as it's in "teenage language". This also creates the feeling that the magazine was specifically made for the younger generation and gives them a sense of feeling special and it is much more personal.
The storyline of this cover is to make the students feel proud of their achievements and be acknowledged for all their hard work. With the use of alliteration this also gives a memorable piece of text. By using a smiling student, obviously proud of their results on the cover, this also shows the pupils of goffs take pride in themselves and gives a positive attitude to follow by other teenagers.


Here is my third cover idea.
This name was chosen due to wanting to give a name that would be easily remembered. By using alliteration and school name, this creates a memorable title. As well as the obvious link with "glossed over" to the fact that this is a magazine product, involving glossy paged spreads, there is also the underlying message that parts of gossip of the school are "glossed over", the truth being hidden and suggests that this magazine will reveal them. This should spark interest with my target audience due to "secret gossip" always being a popular conversation. Lastly, the use of the word "over" above an arrow suggests the readers should turn over to continue to read on.
My choice of storyline here was to immediately get the younger students of the school involved with something and feel properly initiated into a new "school family".  Beside this, this is a topic the older students can be familiar with due to going through the process of being new to the school themselves. This should then attract them to read this due to them wanting to read how others are reacting to a situation they've been in.




Overall, I like my first cover idea the most due to it's catchy title which is already linked to a well-known and popularly viewed television show which is also aimed at my target audience. Alongside this, the use of gossip being the main storyline as well as having a fellow teenage student on the front cover, both ensure to target my main audience of students by focusing on attributes they would most be interested by. The majority of secondary school pupils are incredibly interest at hearing the latest scandals about the school, so by putting this in my magazine, this is a sure success of gaining interest from my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment